Thursday, November 11, 2010

Best Playdough Recipe - Microwaves !!!

I am not a fan of store-bought playdough. It dries out fast, hard to pick it all up and crumbly, lots of dye and smells weird. So, I asked my mom, a kindergarten teacher, for her suggestion and here is the WORLD'S BEST PLAYDOUGH recipe. (It lasts forever, perfectly moist and plyable, EASY - no cooking, just microwave! Hooray!)

What you need:
  • 1 c. salt
  • 2 c. flour
  • 3 tsp. cream of tartar
  • 2 c. water
  • 2 TB. oil
  • food coloring
  • scents/extracts- optional (peppermint, lemon, orange)

What to do:

  1. Mix dry ingredients in bowl, stir well
  2. Add oil, water, food coloring **I divide for different colors and add extracts for smell.**
  3. Stir until smooth consistency
  4. Cook in microwave on high for 3 minutes, stirring occassionally
  5. Knead for 1 minute ** It's hot and so I knead thoroughly for about 4-5 minutes, very important
  6. Return to microwave and cook for 2 minutes
  7. Knead dough again for about 3 minutes.
So this round we did RED (err...pink and it was peppermint smelling!) , BLUE (which we did lemon smelling - what the dollar tree had since it takes a lot to cover up the salt smell) and ORANGE (which was Orange smelling!)

And here are my cherubs ~ 20 minutes later all playing with beautiful, pleasant smelling playdough! It was fun to work with each boy seperately for the 5 minutes to pick colors and their scent. Before that we all took turns stirring and adding ingredients. I enjoy cooking with my boys and ADORE the end product of this one. I promise in 15 minutes total you can have a batch of playdough made and ready (if only doing one color) and it will last for months (probably 6). From one hard working mom to another ~ Ciao!

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Oooh, I'm sure I'll be checking the archives of your blog in a year or so for this recipe! Thanks!

Debbie said...

Hi,
I have been posting art project ideas on my blog. Along with this series I have a post where I am linking ideas from other bloggers. I am wondering if I can post this as a link back to your site. Below is the page it would be put on. You can leave me a comment there if
it's alright.

http://jimdebandheather.blogspot.com/2010/11/arts-and-craft-ideas-by-other-bloggers.html