Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Our Garden 2009

Corey, my dad, and I began our massive undertaking of tilling, sorting, ordering and buying of the seeds to begin our 2009 garden. Corey and I co-gardened with my parents last year and it was great, so we naturally decided to do that again.
Here is our garden in May!!
Here is the garden around the first of July. Corn is getting tall!

Here is a picture of our 3 little sprouts... they are also growing like crazy.

Here is Gabe. Our big 3 year old!




Here is Grant. He is 18 months.



Oh boy!! Grant loves the camera! Cheese!




This is a famous pose of his too!




Gavin has really grown into his personality. He is so fun!




We thought sitting them down might be easier for a photo opp. They sure are BUSY boys, and usually full of all types of shenanigans!





All 3 boys adore being outside. They love the garden and love that their beloved Grandpa B. comes down every other day to work in the garden. (Grandpa is Gabe's best friend.)





Ahh.... here is where it all started. Now we are getting/or have gotten tons of:
  • lettuce, spinach, swiss chard
  • peas (sugar and snow)
  • kolhrabi
  • carrots
  • beans (bush/pole)
  • broccoli, cauliflower
  • cabbage
  • dill, basil, cilantro
  • corn
  • tomatoes (cherry/ regular)
  • zuchini, cucumbers
  • SOON to come: watermelon, cantalope, butternut squash

We love having the fresh, organic crop. Therefore the time, money, effort and energy are all worth it. There is just something nice about working in the garden and raising your own vegetables!








3 comments:

Heidi said...

I love these pics Karen! I wish we had a bigger yard - I'd love to grow all of my own vegetables. This year I only have celebrity tomatoes (tons of them due to hybrid seeds), limes, chives and rosemary. I tried corn but never harvested any. Had a LOT of radishes, but the rabbits burrowed and ate them all! :-)

Laurel said...

I have garden envy, two years running. :) I think it's awesome what you're doing. And, I think it's awesome that you share! WE devoured the broccoli, beans, and zucchini you gave us. Thanks!

Sarah said...

Wow, Karen! Are you going postal? What was this about a post a week? I'm having trouble keeping up!

Love your garden. It was beautiful and yummy last summer. You don't want to see ours! (Really.)